Thursday, November 1, 2012

Week numero dos!

I like my titles starting off in Spanish :) It gives me a little something extra! This week has been so hectic! I started off by going in to get my pictures on Monday and observing my tank for this week. I looked all over my tank with not much changing. My midge had grown and made a tunnel up the whole side of my tank. I looked around my tank the first day and caught some great pictures!  Here take a look :)

By now you all know my stentor really well. He is quite photogenic and very expressive. This is what he looks like when he is scared. He shrinks down and when he is sure the danger is gone, he extends back.


This is my little guy extending back up after he was scared

Another view? Sure! He is attached to the mud. In this picture you can see his organelles. Now keep in mind this guy is only one cell.

I have been trying to get a clear picture of this guy for a long time. This a cyclops. He is very fast and loves to bury himself in the mud. I first found him chilling with my midge over in the corner of my tank. This is the adult form of a Cyclops, if you want to see a juvenile, just look on the front of your lab manual.
 On Sunday, October 28th Dr. McFarland added "Atison's Betta Food" to our tank. It is made by Ocean Nutrition, Aqua Pet Americas, 3528 West 500 South, Salt Lake City UT 84104. The yummy ingredients include: fish meal, wheat flour, soy meal, krill meal, minerals, vitamins, and preservatives. Analysis: Crude Protein 36%, Crude fat 4.5%, Crude fiber 3.5%, Moisture 8%, and Ash 15%. The only thing wrong with adding this to my tank is, most of my organisms are large. This is a very bad thing. Three days after adding the pellet, it is gone and most of my larger organisms, including my cyclops, are dead. Observing my tank on Wednesday after lab I noticed my midge had broken out of his tunnel and was floating near the top of the water.  I looked closer and noticed he was dying to. I asked Dr. McFarland about this and he told me that my tank had ran out of food, but that once my organisms die, something else would happen. My tank will gradually rebuild itself. Some organisms are going strong such as my stentor! Here is a video and a description enjoy!!

 
And just for everyone interested :) Here is a video of my stentor splitting in two. Otherwise known as giving birth!! Just turn your speakers to mute. I mean it caught my voice and Dr. McFarland talking. I mean if you want to hear me getting all excited and nerding out go for it! But I know you will love it if you watch it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment